This is a monotypic genus, meaning it contains a single species.
- Globifomes graveolens has a very tight cluster of imbricate caps.
Taxon Details and Links
- Globifomes Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club 31 (8): 421 (1904). Type: Boletus graveolens Schwein., Schriften der Berlinische Gesellschaft Naturforschender Freunde 1: 97 (1822). ,
- The genus Globifomes has traditionally been included in the Polyporaceae. Its microscopic characters are very similar to Fomes fomentarius. I have not seen it included in any molecular phylogeny of the polypores. A new ITS sequence on GenBank (MG663229.1; Dec 2017) is very close to Fomes fomentarius (differs by 5 bases?).
- Gilbertson and Ryvarden 1986 on MycoBank
- Google Books page for Murrill 1904
- Kirk, P. M., J. A. Stalpers, U. Braun, P. W. Crous, K. Hansen, D. L. Hawksworth, K. D. Hyde, R. Lücking, T. H. Lumbsch, A. Y. Rossman, K. A. Seifert, M. Stadler. 2013. A without-prejudice list of generic names of fungi for protection under the International Code of Nomenclature for algae, fungi, and plants. IMA Fungus 4(2): 381–443. DOI: 10.5598/imafungus.2013.04.02.17.